CHERNIVTSI : THE HEART OF BUCOVINA
- 12 Comments
- Read: 23,137
Chernivtsi is a very beautiful city, to your climate and charm. It is memorable and I would like to tell you a bit about my stay in the city of many cultures. Chernivtsi is the political, cultural and religious center of Bukovina, located close to the border with Moldova. It is memorable and I would like to tell you a bit about my stay in the city of many cultures. Chernivtsi is the political, cultural and religious center of Bukovina! The origin of the name Chernivtsi Name Chernivtsi in […]
If you are looking for something similar, check RELATED ENTRIES at the end of this article.
Chernivtsi is a very beautiful city, to your climate and charm. It is memorable and I would like to tell you a bit about my stay in the city of many cultures. Chernivtsi is the political, cultural and religious center of Bukovina, located close to the border with Moldova.
The origin of the name Chernivtsi
Chernivtsi's name in other languages: ukr. Chernivtsi, ros. Chernivtsi, jid. Chernivtsi, rum. Chernivtsi, orm. Chernovets, in German Czernowitz / Tschernowitz. The name comes from the fortress, that is wypominana in Chronicles as Black on the river Prut. The city is very old, the existence of a settlement in the 12th century, is confirmed by the excavations, and the first historical mentions are from 1408 year. This date is celebrated in October in celebration long drawn out days of – This year (2012) 6 and 7 October. So happened that I had a business trip to Czerniowców, I could also be a weekend celebration of the days of Czerniowców. Immediately say that it is worth to arrive, because a lot is happening, but as someone not fond of crowds is worth coming early.
Przynależność Czerniowców do różnych państw
From the 14th century, the part of Moldova, and since XVI within waters under the sovereignty of Turkey. In 1775r. shall be attached to Austria and 1849r. is the capital of the Duchy of Bukovina – the country of the Crown the Habsburg empire. During World War I, occupied by the Russians, and in 1918 After 1940 It was part of Romania. In 1940 y, in the summer of, attached to the USSR, later in the years 1941-1944 back to Romania, and from 1944 to the USSR. In 1991 year to Ukraine.
Nationalities inhabiting Chernivtsi 1930 y
In 1930, the city had 112,427 inhabitants, and the composition of the nationalities represented as follows: Jews 38%, Romanians 27%, Germans 15%, Ukrainians (Rusyns) 10%, Poles 8%, Russians 1,3%. In the number of Poles also included several hundred Polish Armenians. According to the latest statistics from the 2011 He resides in Chernivtsi 253 843 people. The city occupies an area of 153 m2
Multicultural climate Czerniowców
As each city, by which underwent numerous nationalities, Chernivtsi absorb best from many changing generations and nationalities, sformatowało in the city similar to each other, having your climate.
What you can do in Chernivtsi?
Explore the city
You can of course visit, several days will be enough, I was a tourist two days – I saw a small piece of the beautiful Czerniowców. To Czerniowców, you need to see are:
- the building of the State University of Chernivtsi Yuri's name Fedkowycza, former Palace of the Metropolitan of Bukovina and Dalmatia along with the building of the former Seminary and seminary Church, which is included in the UNESCO World Heritage – in my opinion, an amazing masterpiece of architekty J. Glavka, perła Czerniowców;
- The Centre of the old town, the day of the Austrian, full of buildings designed in the art nouveau style by, inter alia,. representatives of the Vienna School of Otto Wagner.
- Beautiful Place, which is a lot : Turkish, Stage Actress, Soborna, Central, Philharmonic Hall, and other.
- Churches : 3 wooden churches from the 17th and 18th centuries.; cerkiew kamienna z XVIII w.;
- Churches: Roman Catholic church built in the years 1786-1814; Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus built by the Jesuits in 1891-1894; Armenian Catholic church consecrated in 1879 by Archbishop Grzegorz Romaszkan;
- The Synagogue: the building of the former synagogue Tempel(built in the years 1873-1878 in the Moorish style according to the design of Julian Zachariewicz); since 1959 it houses a cinema “Chernivtsi”;
- the theatre building, 1905, Architects Fellner and Hellmer-along the lines of the theatre in Furth;
- House of Romanian modernist-style; Home German.
- Hotel Bristol; Hotel Palace;
- The Town Hall.
- and many many interesting buildings, which is fully.
- ( very happy the supplements list of missing places, write!)
Accommodation in Chernivtsi
I had provided accommodation, so I haven't bothered to search for. For curiosity I searched on the Internet information on accommodation, This information was not enough. In Chernivtsi operates approximately 20 Hotels, where are the different prices – constituted on 2012 start from 200-250 hryvnia.
If you are looking for lower-priced lodgings, or do you need a reservation for accommodation I offer your help.
You can also find themselves accommodation below
Board in Chernivtsi
In Chernivtsi is of course a lot of shops and places where you can eat something. During his stay in Chernivtsi I was in several places, that I can recommend. I do not know how are prices in comparison with other, but the quality is very good.
- Breakfast eaten in the Cental (Централь), ul.Vatutina 1 – breakfast are ok, dinners there are rather more expensive.
- Secession – (Сецесія ), ul. Horkoho 11 – Here are the lunch kompelksowe for 30 hryvnia, elegant wystrów elegant.
- Hopachok (Гопачок), Chervonoarmiyska 36 A/38 – prices do not know but is tasty and interesting design of the national.
- Golden dukat, (Золотий дукат) – different types of coffee, tea and chocolate (true, for drinking), the prices are within the limits 15-30 hryvnia, but the quality is best!
Maybe you know a good place, Please write.
Where to go next with Czerniowców?
You can go to two seats assigned to the wonders of Ukraine:
- to Chocimia (70km) and
- Kamianets-Podilsky fortress (100km)
- and same city Kamianets-Podilsky.
- You can also move towards the Ukrainian Carpathians, one of the most famous cities of Yaremche.
- Towards the border with Moldova ( 40 km ). Along the way by train, I met two visitors, who precisely the amendments in this direction.
- If you'll read this, Please write your itineraries and impressions! The River Prut, for lovers of rafting and swimming mountain rivers ( How will need details please contact)
Taxis and transport
Taxis in Chernivtsi are not as expensive, distance from the train station to the Centre ( 20-25 min piechotką) It costs 20-25 hryvnia. Public Transport is not used, przemieszczałem on foot in most cases. The Centre is very compact and everywhere is close to. Public Transport is cheap, But if they are shorter distances it is better to take. And therefore nice walks Chernivtsi, I look forward to your memories!
Photos from Czerniowców
COMMENTS TO THE ARTICLE
THERE ARE COMMENTS
WE APPRECIATE YOU COMMENTS (SOME TRANSLATED FROM POLISH)
PLEASE WRITE YOUR COMMENT
SHARING WITH US YOUR THOUGHTS
happy reading about Ukraine, We encourage you to actively comment! About page
- Anna B wrote in UNKNOWN VILLAGE MAIDAN :
Hello Marcin, my Grandma Helena née Pachla, had a sister, Karolina, and they lived in the village with my grandfather, Kazimierz Koziol…
- Ew wrote in MAIDAN : THE LAND OF ANCESTORS :
Hello, my grandmother's name was Józefa Pasiniewicz (from home important) in Poland they settled with their grandfather Stanisław Pasiniewicz first…
- Artur wrote in Where to find postage stamps Russian warship … ? :
After many years of absence from the site, greetings, Sir, Mr. Jurek!!! SLAVA UKRAINI! SLAVA MASSAGE! NO WITH RUSSIAN BARBARIA!!!!! Artur Ziaja…
- Marcin C wrote in UNKNOWN VILLAGE MAIDAN :
Hello, my grandfather Wacław Rybotycki lived in Malmanstal. He married Karolina née Pachla. I am looking for information about my ancestors. How…
- Bogdan Luklinski / Spine Specialist wrote in BORYSLAV : TOWN NEAR OIL DEPOSITS :
BORYSLAW - MY MOTHER / FATHER came from Boryslaw.. I know / I was,b.ladne
- Thomas B wrote in MAIDAN : THE LAND OF ANCESTORS :
Hello my grandmother Stefania Walter wife of Julian Walter née Wilińska lived in the village of Majdan, then in Zielona Góra, later…
- Thomas B wrote in MAIDAN : THE LAND OF ANCESTORS :
Hello, my grandmother comes from the village of Majdan ,her name was Stefania Walter née Wilińska, husband Julian Walter. I am asking for…
POPULARArticles, that read the most times
WHAT CAN BE TRANSPORTED BY ... : 157,075
UKRAINIAN LARD: SAŁO.. : 78,156
UKRAINIAN CIGARETTES AND YOU .... : 71,306
BY TRAIN VIA UKRAINE: ... : 61,106
NATIONAL SYMBOLS OF UKRAINE : 57,451
UKRAINIAN LANGUAGE and ALPHABET : 57,314
POLAND - UKRAINE BORDER : 42,833
EXCHANGING CURRENCY IN UKRAINE : 38,559
THE PURCHASE OF RAILWAY TICKETS ... : 37,051
BEFORE YOU TRAVEL : 31,815
HOLIDAYS IN UKRAINE : 31,098
MOBILE IN THE UK.. : 30,727
FAMOUS UKRAINIANS : 29,011
A TRIP THROUGH MEDYKA : 1ST... : 26,440
CRIMEA : AUTONOMOUS REPUB .... : 26,131